Ghost in tbe Machine

Ghost in the Machine

Friday, June 01, 2007

eliot is over rated anyways

Thank you Justin for your insight readings of the poems.

I particularly like your reading of Song of Childhood, and your interest in the “child’s mind”. I don’t doubt the twins have anything to do with this interest.

There is a prevalent nostalgia in the poems we’ve chosen, particularly in Wordsworth’s ode. However, the sentiment of lost childhood I find is somewhat different from Hendke’s. Wordsworth is one as we can say for the sake of a better word, a “romanticized” lost, where the mind and imagination of the child are epitomic faculties of a human spirit untouched by the pollutions of civilization. It is this ethereal and ever fleeting moment of pure innocence, of art without language, of love without judgment, that dissipates in the exchange of social order, etiquette, and minimum wage.

I find In Hendke’s poem however, the theme of childhood is not so much explored as a stage in one’s life, but instead looks at the characteristics of children that are inherent in all of humanity. As you’ve mentioned Justin, that the refrain does point out to the audience, making the anonymous “child” the reader. Thus, the child that is in all of us, is the inherent nature of Man’s curious being. This is not to be mistaken with the idea that we are all childish at heart, but that our existence is also one as fragile as a child’s, that we as a species are foolish and curious, that we have grown up, but not grown out our nature to inquire, play, indulge, and joyously love.

I think it’s interesting that we all choose one poem dealing with the theme of childhood. Song For Naomi, is an interesting deviation from the others I think, and one Justin, I’m sure you appreciate. It differs from the others because of the voice of a father. Unlike the others that investigate and explore the idea of childhood, Layton’s voice is almost distant as an onlooker, a protective father watching his daughter from a distance. The refrain “who is that…” however, does sound nostalgic, as if her growing up so fast makes her unrecognizable to him. Unlike the others, I think, it is a personal poem about his growing daughter. The poem is not particularly a mourn, an ode, but a gentle internal sighing. I love this poem.

As for the Eliots, I don’t blame you Justin for being so curt with him. He is a subject on his own. I love Eliot because of the damning banal existentialism that plays like a violin throughout his poems. The wasteland as you boys might have guessed should be on my list, but preludes, and song for… are the two that really get me going. Like Layton, they are portrait poems of sentiments painted in the modernist fashion.

Thanks again Justin for the critiques, and I apologize with being so late with mine.

I would like to hear Peter’s thoughts on the poems before we move on to workshop each other’s poem.

I think a good way to start our workshop is to read one member’s poem(s) that he (or me) wants to critique. That group will read the poem and provide feedback before the poet shares his (or her) own reasoning behind the poem.

If you are comfortable Justin, do you mind if we could workshop your poems first?

Annie.

1 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

I don't mind. Just say when.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home